Table of Contents
10 Best Honeymoon Destinations In Rwanda
Here are the 10 Best Honeymoon destinations In Rwanda, also known as the “Land of a Thousand Hills” due to its stunning topography, lush landscapes, and unique attractions. With its unique blend of wildlife, culture, and natural beauty, Rwanda offers a special and memorable honeymoon experience that’s both romantic and enriching. It’s a destination that can create lasting memories for newlyweds looking for a meaningful and unique start to their life together.
The following are the 10 best honeymoon destinations in Rwanda;
Volcanoes National Park
Volcanoes National Park is one of the 10 best honeymoon destinations in Rwanda for a honeymoon offering a unique blend of adventure, wildlife, and natural beauty. The opportunity to see mountain gorillas up close is a truly magical experience that few other destinations can match. The park’s stunning landscapes, wildlife such as forest elephants, buffaloes, bush pigs, giant forest hogs, duikers, spotted hyenas etc., volcanic peaks and lush forests, provide a romantic backdrop for your trip, cultural experiences, gorillas, golden monkey, volcanic Peaks, Dian Fossey’s grave, scenic landscapes and so much more.
- You can engage in gorilla and golden monkey trekking at Volcanoes National Park, go Hiking the Bisoke crater lake and the Dian Fossey Tomb, bird watching because the park is home to various species, get the cultural experiences by engaging with the local communities and learn about their customs and traditions, including a visit to the Iby’Iwacu cultural village and so much more.
There are several accommodation options in and around Volcanoes National Park for various budgets and occasions like Bisate lodge, Sabyinyo silverback lodge, Virunga lodge, gorilla mountain view lodge and so many others giving comfortable luxurious accommodation, modern facilities and amenities as well as onsite restaurants serving local and international cuisine for you to enjoy during your honeymoon.
Gisenyi is a picturesque town located on the shores of Lake Kivu Rwanda, and it can be a beautiful and unique honeymoon destination. Gisenyi provides a mix of relaxation, adventure, and cultural experiences, making it an excellent choice for a honeymoon destination.
- You can enjoy the natural beauty of the lake, explore local culture, visit lake Kivu for stunning views, clear waters, and opportunities for swimming, kayaking, and boat rides, you can also relax on the lakeside beaches, soak in the warm waters of Gisenyi hot springs, visit the Inema Art Center, visit the Iby’Iwacu cultural village for cultural experiences and also embark on a hiking/biking journey to the Congo-Nile trail.
- Accommodation facilities in this destination are plenty. You can stay at Lake Kivu Serena Hotel(fancy), Paradise Malahide, Inzu lodge, Palm garden resort and also home stays: For a more immersive experience, you can consider staying with local families who offer homestays in the area.
Kigali, the capital city of Rwanda, may not be the typical tropical honeymoon destination, but it has a lot to offer for couples looking for a unique and enriching experience. A honeymoon in Kigali offers cultural enrichment, culinary exploration, and opportunities to connect with the local community.
- Couples can enjoy a balance of relaxation, adventure, and education, making it a distinctive and memorable honeymoon experience. You can visit the Kigali Genocide Memorial for historic tours, explore the Inema art Center for local art and cultural exhibitions, visit the Nyamirambo for walking tours, food, and history, you can as well hire guides for a Kigali city tour where you will visit the Kigali Convention Centre, Kimironko market, and the Presidential palace museum.
- Explore the Akagera National Park if you have more time and opportunity to see African wildlife such as hippos, lions, golden monkey, African buffalo, blue monkey, rhinos and many others including primates. You can go Wine Tasting at the Rwandan wineries and vineyards for a unique wine tasting experience in the heart of Africa and do so much more with your loved one.
Accommodation especially luxury hotels is available with numerous options to choose from for example; Heaven Restaurant & Boutique Hotel, Kigali Marriott Hotel, Kigali Serena Hotel, The Retreat by Heaven, Ishyo Arts Centre Guesthouse and so many other luxurious and budget friendly hotel options you can choose from.
Nyungwe Forest National Park
Nyungwe Forest National Park in Rwanda is a pristine rainforest offering natural beauty, wildlife such the golden monkey, L’Hoest’s monkey, duikers, golden cats, duikers, Klipspringer, impalas, Bushbucks, Buffaloes, Elephants, Bushpigs, Gant forest hog, Blotched serval, Carnival genet, Congo clawless, Mongoose, serval, felis, black-fronted duiker, western tree hyrax etc.
- Accommodation varies from world class safari lodges to affordable forest cottages and so much more e.g., Nyungwe Forest Lodge, One & Only Nyungwe House, Nyungwe Top View Hill Hotel, Gisakura Guest House and so many other lodges offering comfortable and affordable prices for your stay during the honeymoon.
While at Nyungwe Forest National Park, you can go for a guided nature walk/canopy walks and see unique flora and fauna, visit the nearby communities for cultural tours, shop some local crafts, go hiking and trekking, enjoy some relaxation and Spa treatment, and unwind by Stargazing at night with your significant other. The clear night skies in an excellent opportunity for stargazing, making for a romantic evening activity.
Akagera National Park
Akagera National Park lies in eastern Rwanda, near the border with Tanzania. It’s distinguished by woodland, swamps, low mountains and savannah. The varied terrain shelters wildlife including zebras, giraffes, elephants, lions and hundreds of bird species, such as the rare shoebill stork. In the southern part of the park, vast Lake Ihema is home to hippos and crocodiles. So there is plenty for you and your spouse to enjoy on your honeymoon.
- Embark on game drives through the park’s the African savannah, Encounter the Big Five—majestic elephants, regal lions, elusive leopards, buffaloes, and rhinos in their natural habitat, enjoy thrilling boat safari on the shimmering waters of Lake Ihema, explore some aquatic wonders, the vibrant birdlife, including pelicans, herons, and the iconic African fish eagle, discover the cultural tapestry of Akagera, and so much more.
- As the day’s adventures unfold, retreat to luxurious accommodations such as Akagera game lodge, Akagera rhino lodge, Magashi camp, Ruzizi tented lodge, and many others offering panoramic views, gourmet dining, and personalized service.
- Whether you choose a tented camp or a lavish lodge, each option promises tranquility, allowing you to rejuvenate amidst the untamed splendor of Akagera National Park.
Lake Kivu, nestled in the heart of Rwanda, emerges as an exquisite canvas for a honeymoon adorned with captivating attractions, exhilarating activities, and luxurious accommodations.
- Embark on a journey where the azure waters of Lake Kivu seamlessly merge with the lush landscapes, embark on a sunset boat cruise on Lake Kivu, go swimming, sport fishing and visit the Gisenyi hot springs, engage in water activities such as kayaking, paddle boarding, or delight your yourself with a lakeside dining experience, or you can go to the lake’s private beaches for some alone time with your spouse.
- Lots of luxurious and affordable accommodation options are available from lake side resorts, beach hotels, Airbnb’s, such as Nyungwe Forest Lodge, One $ Only Nyungwe House, Hill view Hotel Lake Kivu, Lake Kivu Serena Hotel, and so many others ready to provide you with the comfort, luxury, modern amenities and facilities you will enjoy and create everlasting memories with your beloved.
Virunga National Park
Nestled within the lush embrace of the magnificent East African landscape, Virunga National Park emerges as an unparalleled haven for honeymooners seeking an extraordinary platform for romance and adventure.
Overview: Virunga National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is a magical place where misty volcanoes meet dense forests full of rare animals. It’s a celebration of Africa’s wild spirit, with captivating sights and sounds that will enchant you and your loved ones.
- Attractions and Activities to indulge in during your honeymoon include but aren’t limited to hiking the beautiful Mount Nyiragongo, at night, witness molten lava, delve into mountain gorilla trekking, go on volcanic hikes to the slopes of Mt. Nyiragongo or Mt. Mikeno, engage in a boat cruise, and cultural encounters with the locals and explore so much more.
- Virunga National Park offers a selection of exclusive lodges designed to satisfy your honeymoon without compromising the authenticity of the experience. From the eco-luxury of Bisate Lodge to the secluded charm of Mikeno Lodge, each accommodation seamlessly integrates with its surroundings, providing a sanctuary where romance blossoms amid the untamed beauty of Virunga.
Karongi Town in Rwanda is a charming and serene honeymoon destination, offering you and your loved one a honeymoon full of tranquility and natural beauty, what more would you desire in an intimate getaway safari.
Once in Karongi town, the honeymooners/couple can enjoy a romantic bosta cruise on lake Kivu as it is nearby, go on nature walks, get some culture experience, explore local cuisine, and also visit the beach for activities like relaxation, spa treatments, swimming, visit the Bisesero Genocide Memorial for historical encounters, be lured by the beautiful shores of Lkae Kivu and so much more.
Accommodation facilities include; Rwiza village guest house, Home saint jean, Moriah Hill resort, Cormaron Lodge, Cleo Lake Kivu Hotel, Serena Hotel Kivu, Roberto Kivu Lodge, Inn on the Lake, and so many other options you can choose from including Air bnb.
Why Rwanda is called “The Land Of A Thousand Hills”
Rwanda is often referred to as the “Land of a Thousand Hills” due to its stunning and varied landscape characterized by numerous rolling hills and mountains. This nickname has both geographical and cultural significance, making it an attractive feature from a tourism point of view. Here are some reasons why Rwanda is known by this moniker:
- Topography: Rwanda is located in the central and eastern part of Africa and is characterized by a series of hills and mountains that cover much of its terrain. The country’s topography is marked by lush green hills, deep valleys, and scenic landscapes. The rolling hills give the country a picturesque and unique appearance, making it an appealing destination for nature lovers and photographers.
- Scenic Beauty: The hills offer breathtaking panoramic views and create a beautiful mosaic of landscapes. The elevation changes contribute to the diverse ecosystems found in different parts of the country, including rainforests, savannas, and lakes. The combination of elevation changes and greenery makes Rwanda visually striking.
- Agricultural Terracing: To maximize arable land and prevent soil erosion, Rwandans have implemented traditional agricultural practices such as terracing. The hills are often neatly terraced with crops like tea, coffee, and other agricultural produce. These terraced hillsides add to the visual appeal and contribute to Rwanda’s nickname.
- Cultural Significance: The hills hold cultural significance for the Rwandan people. The majority of the population lives in the hilly countryside, and these landscapes have played a role in shaping Rwandan culture and way of life. The hills are not just a physical feature but are deeply embedded in the social fabric and history of the country.
- Tourism Attraction: The “Land of a Thousand Hills” has become a marketing slogan for Rwanda’s tourism. Visitors are attracted to the natural beauty of the hills and the opportunity to explore the diverse landscapes. Tourists can engage in activities such as hiking, trekking, and enjoying the scenic views, particularly in national parks like Volcanoes National Park, known for its mountain gorillas.
The square kilometers of Rwanda doesn’t limit its stunning attractions. Visit Rwanda and get to see gorillas and chimpanzees which are only trekking in Rwanda and Uganda that is Bwindi Impenetrable National Park and Mgahinga National Park for gorilla trekking and Kibale National Park for chimpanzee trekking.
Book a trip with Kubwa Five Safaris and travel throughout Rwanda exploring wildlife in its authentic form. Rwanda is a banquets of great escapades.