Best Weather And Climate In Kruger National Park In South Africa
The best weather and climate in Kruger National Park is characterized by two seasons which are; Dry winter (May to September) and Wet summer (October to April).
Kruger National Park is among South Africa’s most valued places to visit when embarking on successful wild safaris. The park is stationed between two provinces (Mpumalanga and Limpopo) and is an immediate neighbor to Zimbabwe an
Kruger National Park got her beautiful name from one of South Africa’s former president (Paul Kruger). The park is home to hundreds and thousands of wildlife species, birds and plants. It is no surprise that she is the largest in the country and has the most number of large land mammals compared to any other park in the world.
This park safe guards endangered species like the black and white rhinos and wild dogs which are prone to poaching activities and extinction respectively. It also harbors the Big Five of Africa (Lion, Elephant, Rhino, Leopard and Buffalo) which makes it unique compared to other parks.
The best weather and climate in Kruger National Park are discussed as follows;
Well unlike continents like North America and Europe whose winters are very wet and freezing cold and their summers very hot, warm and fuzzy, Kruger National Park experiences the exact opposite of the above winter and summer descriptions.
Winter – The dry season in Kruger National Park
Winter usually happens from May to September every single year at Kruger National Park. The park experiences very low humidity and really dry winters without any rainfall at all. This season is so harsh to the wild animals because drinking water becomes hard to access.
This forces the animals to move closer to water sources like rivers. This is actually a blessing in disguise for tourists because it promotes game viewing activities. You will be able to see a collection of several animal species as they combine to cool off and partake of the remaining fresh water in the park.
In the winter season, temperatures are warm and ideal for game drives and more touring however, nights can get really cold so please have warm clothes to wear when the temperature drops at night.
- May marks the transition from summer to spring. The ratio of degree changes between mornings and evenings is represented as follows respectively is; (12:27) degrees Celsius and (54:81) degrees Fahrenheit.
- From June to August, you will experience cool mornings of about 10 degrees Celsius (approximately 50 degrees Fahrenheit). Please endeavor to wear warm clothes to prevent feeling cold while on game driving activities. The rest of the day time hours will be 26 degrees Celsius (79 degrees Fahrenheit). And this whole week promises us clear skies.
- By September the temperatures will gradually rise to about 29 degrees Celsius (84 degrees Fahrenheit). You will love the freshness which comes with the first downpour of rainfall in the park. The persistent dry season will be kicked out of the window.
Summer – The wet season in Kruger National Park
The wet season or Summer in Kruger National Park happens from October all the way up to April. Although there is ample rain received during this season, some days it does not rain and the heat becomes bothersome.
The average day time temperature is 32 degrees Celsius (90 degrees Fahrenheit) but sometimes it can shoot to 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit) hence dense humidity which results to very heavy downpours especially in the afternoon hours.
- Afternoon rainfall is a regular in October and November and the difference in temperatures between mornings and afternoons are usually from 18C (64F) to 31C (88F) respectively.
- The hottest and wettest times of the year are December, January, and February, when afternoon thunderstorms and high humidity are the norm. The heat of the day often reaches around 32°C/90°F, but can reach a sweltering 40°C/104°F on rare occasions.
- In March and April, precipitation lessens and temperatures rise gradually. The weather in April is often beautiful, with minimal clouds. The nights are cooler, but still bearable, hovering about 18°C/61°F. Humidity decreases and daytime highs hover around 30 degrees Celsius (about 64 degrees Fahrenheit).
My conclusion about the best weather and climate in Kruger National Park
Book your tour with Kubwa Five Safaris to have a thrilling adventure and experience in Kruger National Park.