Best Time To Visit Murchison Falls National Park In Uganda
The park is a paradise for several animal, plant and bird species and these are over 144, 700 and 500 species respectively. Situated on the shores of Lake Albert, Murchison Falls National Park lies in the northwestern part of Uganda. And it happens to be both the largest and oldest conservation center in the country.
Murchison Falls National Park is home to the most powerful waterfall in the whole world (Murchison Falls). And seeing the falls with your naked eyes will mesmerize you so much. It is to no surprise that a lot of people from all continents come to also witness this phenom.
The amazing landscape, woodland, savannah grassland and riverine forest vegetation in the park all beautifully combine to give the park a very nice appearance.
Here is a brief explanation about the best time to visit Murchison Falls National Park;
The climate and weather in Murchison Falls National Park
The park is characterized by two different seasons and these are the; the dry (hot) and wet seasons (tropical). The temperatures at the park are stable enough all year long. They range from 31°C/88°F during the day time and drop to about 18°C/64°F at night fall.
The dry (hot) season in Murchison Falls National Park
The dry season in Murchison Falls National Park starts from December and goes all the way up to February. The very high temperatures and hot dry air do not support any precipitation, therefore very little or no rainfall received at all in the park. Day time temperatures are 32°C/90°F and at night they drop to about 18°C/64°F.
Although the park is open through out the year and you can pay it a visit any time you please, the dry season (December to February) would be the most perfect and the best time to visit Murchison Falls National Park, this is why;
- During the dry season, the roads and trails are dry enough for easy movements whether by bus or on foot.
- All the animals come together (gather) to either refresh themselves by drinking water or dipping themselves in the water sources in the park. This will give you a great game viewing experience.
- Most of the park activities are more fun when done in the dry season. These include; Game drives, Sport fishing, Boat cruising, Hot air balloon experience, Hiking, Nature walks and so many other activities.
The wet (tropical) season in Murchison Falls National Park
The wet season in Murchison Falls National Park takes place between March and November. This season is characterized by plenty of rain once in a while and several heavy storms. The average temperature during the day time is 31°C/88°F, while the average temperature at night is 20°C/68°F.
Just I stated earlier, you have full access to the park at any time of the year however, I would not encourage you to visit during the wet season because of the following reasons;
- The woodlands and grasslands are usually overgrown and are very tall which obstructs and limits your view especially from a distance.
- Animals are hard to spot because of the thick and dense undergrowth in the park. This actually also makes movements difficult because you are prone to sliding on the slippery routes.
Much as the wet season seems limiting, it is the perfect season for bird watching because migratory birds usually fly in around this time.
A few animals can also be spotted together with their offspring. They love showing the world off to their newly born babies.
My conclusion about the best time to visit Murchison Falls National Park
Murchison Falls National Park has got all your touring needs catered for, starting from the being accessible all year round, great accommodation centers for you, the amazing animals, plants and birds waiting for you to enjoy and the fun activities all at your disposal, the park is truly worthy of your visit.
For a smooth, well-planned and fun tour, please book this tour with Kubwa Five Safaris, they are honest, transparent and professional. You will have a great time.